I have a Spotify playlist for this time of year – and it’s only 9 hours and 7 minutes long!
I can appreciate most genres and style of Christmas music, but I certainly have my favorites.
1. All of the Killers’s charity Christmas songs!
My favorites from the collection are “A Great Big Sled,” “Christmas in LA,” and “Don’t Shoot Me, Santa Claus.” They mix my beloved indie-alt genre with Christmastime! This couldn’t be more perfect.
2. “There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays” Perry Como
In some versions of the song, the part:
Take a bus, take a train
Go and hop an aeroplane
Put the wife and kiddies in the family car
For the pleasure that you bring
When you make that doorbell ring
No trip could be too far
This brings a tear to my eye given the proper mood.
3. All of the songs on the 2006 Bath & Body Works Christmas album
I know I’m not the only one whose mother bought this over ten years ago. With “New York Christmas” by Rob Thomas and “Forget December” by Something Corporate, this is a unique classic mix.
4. “Blue Xmas” by Miles Davis
This was on a Christmas jazz CD we used to have, and it would skip right after this song, so this would keep repeating. It would be late, and I would be too lazy to get up. I found it creepy at first, but I have grown to love it.
5. CeeLo’s Magic Moment
This album title is one of my favorite inside jokes I have with myself.
6. “Last Christmas” by Wham
I can jam to this song at any time of the year. It’s a great breakup song, no matter what stage of a relationship one is in.
7. The Soul Train Christmas Starfest
These songs bring me back to my childhood, listening to the CD in the car with my mother.
8. “My Only Wish This Year” by Britney Spears
No song can take me back to 2002 as easily as this one. #bestChristmasever
9. “Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul (or Faul) McCartney
This has been on the list for as long as I can remember and helps me get into holiday mode quicker than any other song.
10. “Cold December Night” by Michael Buble
While I don’t appreciate every single Christmas cover Mr. Buble does, this original song is excellent.
11. “Santa Claus in Comin to Town” by Bruce Springsteen
Who else knows all the words, even the “monologue” at the beginning?
12. “Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson
This song takes me back to senior year of high school, so I can appreciate how far I’ve come in the last four years. It got me through a very tough holiday season.
13. “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses
This was the song that led me to seek out the non-traditional songs. It is always a hit – people either know it and love it, or are hearing it for the first time and love it!
14. And enough songs to fill up the remaining 8 hours of playlist!
What are your favorite Christmas songs?